Selling a home can be a long and stressful process. Whether you choose to have your home "Move-In Certified" or if you have a buyer that is sending over their Home Inspector, when you get to the point of the inspection, you're nearing the finish line! Hopefully, the pointers below will help you cross it with ease!
1) I know it sounds simple, but replace any burnt out light bulbs. If a bulb is out, it has to noted that the fixture doesn't operate correctly.
2) Make sure the furnace, water heater and electrical panel are accessable. The Home Inspector must be able to remove the electrical panel cover, so remove any locks.
3) Check your furnace filter and make sure it's clean. It will be looked at during your Home Inspection and be considered as a part of it’s overall condition.
4) Check that windows operate smoothly especially egress windows in bedrooms. If they are sticky or painted shut, I must note that. Remove or unlock any window security locks. Make sure all screens are in good shape.
5) Are your handrails secure? Yout Home Inspector will give them a good shake to make sure that they are safe.
6) I will enter every attic that's accessable. If you use your attic for storage, remove any items in the way. Attics hold a wealth of inspection information, you and your buyer will want to know what's up there!
7) Be sure that there is a minimum of one smoke detector per floor. Modern codes require a carbon monoxide detector near the bedrooms as well, and so may your buyer's bank.
8) If the outbuildings are locked, make sure you provide the keys.
9) Make sure power and water will be on at the time of your home inspection, and that all pilot lights (including fireplaces) are lit.
10) I love pets! But I don’t want to frighten them or have them run away while I’m there. Please make sure you can restrain your pets on site.
11) Empty the washer and dryer so they can be tested. The dishwasher can be run whether it is full or empty.
Every home has a fault or two. My job as your Home Inspector is to shed light on the issues. Once I discover the issues, the solutions are close at hand. You're well on your way to a successful Real Estate transaction after the inspection is complete.
Serving The Entire Denver Metro Area. Including Aurora, Arvada, Centennial, Commerce City, Denver, Edgewater, Englewood, Greenwood Village, Golden, Highlands Ranch, Lakewood, Littleton, Lone Tree, Sheridan, Thornton, Wheat Ridge, and Westminster.